Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Politics of Sin - Entheogens, Research into the psychedelic drug experience.
Research into the psychedelic drug experience:
- Reviving research into psychedelic drugs - Editorial in the Lancet calling for more research into therapeutic benefits and claiming that the risks from using 'psychedelic' drugs are greatly exaggerated. The Lancet 2006; 367:1214, DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68515-2, (PDF, 32.5 KB)
- All In The Mind (BBC radio 4 programme, 'listen again'), Claudia Hammond takes a trip into the world of psychedelic drugs. (Tuesday 21:00-21:30)
- LSD Therapy in Dutch Psychiatry: Changing Socio-Political Settings and Medical Sets, by Stephen Snelders and Charles Kaplan; Medical History, 2002, 46: 221-240
- Psilocybin - Wikipedia
- Can Psychedelics Have A Role In Psychiatry Again? Dr. Ben Sessa, Br J Psychiatry. 2005 Jun;186:457
- Erowid Character Vaults - Walter Pahnke
- The Psychedelic Mystical Experience in the Human Encounter With Death by Walter N. Pahnke, Psychedelic Review, Number 11, 1971
- Drugs and Mysticism, by Walter N. Pahnke, 'The International Journal of Parapsychology, Vol VIII, No. 2, Spring 1966 pp 295-313
- Psychedelics and the Religious Experience, pages at the Schaffer Library
"Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance"
R. R. Griffiths & W. A. Richards & U. McCann & R. Jesse; Psychopharmacology (online edition): July 11, 2006; DOI 10.1007/s00213-006-0457-5. A repeat of the Psilocybin 'Good Friday' experiment
The original Good Friday experiment
- PDF (46 Mb) - "DRUGS AND MYSTICISM - An Analysis of the Relationship between Psychedelic Drugs and the Mystical Consciousness", by Walter Norman Pahnke, Doctoral Thesis, Harvard, 1963 - The original "Good Friday Experiment"
- PDF (2 Mb) - Rick Doblin's undergraduate thesis "Pahnke's 'Good Friday Experiment'"
- Pahnke's "Good Friday Experiment": A Long-Term Follow-Up and Methodological Critique, by Rick Doblin, The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 1991, Vol. 23, No.1
- If I Could Change Your Mind, Sermon by Rev. Mike Young - A participant recalls the experience.
- A criticiam of the "Good Friday Experiment"; Comment: I'm linking to this but it's a bit silly in places. The claim: "Cannabis is a much less powerful substance and yet it is capable of producing all of the experiences spoken of by the mystics from the ancient world.", is just dumb. Right at the end we discover the point of the critque - it's an advert for the guys book!